theonewithfeathers

dwell in possibility

"We read to know that we are not alone." - C.S. Lewis

Wading Through Time

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Well that was an interesting experience....Slaughterhouse Five was nothing like I expected it to be. Not only was the subject not what I expected, but the format was not what I expected and the style and tone were unexpected.

So what was I expecting? A sci-fi adventure through time.

What did I get? A sci-fi, historical fiction, anti-war statement that included time travel and possibly insanity....and lots of wimpy, yet thoughtful men.

And I am still not quite sure what I thought about it. It was engaging and a perfect book for a long bus ride (when I read a majority of this book). And yet...it felt lacking. My mom had read it for school back when she was a girl and I expected it to be more like other books I had read for school....but with this one I had to sift and think through what I was reading in order to find the deeper, worth studying and reading, themes and ideas presented in this strange little book.

And unfortunately, as I write this I have a headache and my thoughts are still scattered, but I wanted to write this up before I forgot and while everything was fresh in my mind. So I will go with the easy way again...

Things I liked:

1. The tone - while it surprised me at first, it is the kind of tone I like.

2. Writing style - Again, surprising, but I love it.

3. The story arc and time travel - I loved how mixed up everything was!

4. The characters - They were delightfully flawed.

Things I didn't like so much:

1. The first chapter - When I finished the book I understood why it was included, but at the time I just felt like it was out of place and confusing.

2. Expectations - I didn't like that I wasn't getting what I expected to get. It didn't ruin the book for me, but it was frustrating at first until I let the story be what it was.

3. The characters - Unfortunately their flaws also made them annoying at times...

Soundtrack: Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPo6v0KhBdw

Premise - 3/5